Some of the highlights included:
1) The TCS National Tournament doubled in size. We had more teams which allowed us to run a more successful and exciting National! Thank you Joe Dumars Field House for being such a great host!
2) We added a 3rd Beach Cup Tournament on North Avenue Beach in Chicago, IL. This allowed for more opportunities to play in one of the most unique roller hockey experiences on the planet! Thank you NAB Sports for providing such a great venue!
3) We were able to strengthen our relationships with our loyal followers and were able to build new relationships including the new ones in Canada, Buffalo and North Carolina. A giant Thank You goes out to everyone that supported TCS Roller Hockey in 2011!
These are just a few signs that TCS Roller Hockey is strong and is only getting stronger. With that said, every good tournament organization needs to look itself in the mirror and figure out what can make them better. Our goal has always been to provide the best roller hockey experience out there! In looking at the current state of the sport, we have decided to shift gears on how our tournament series will be run.
The changes are as follows:
- Teams will NO longer be required to play in a Regional Qualifier to play in our 2012 Finals. We believe that we have a strong grasp of where teams rank and will monitor teams throughout the year through coach and rink director feedback. We don’t believe that there is as much value in forcing teams to play in a Regional Qualifier to play in our Finals as there used to be. Most Regional Qualifiers become a scramble to try and get enough teams, with the ever-present risk of having to cancel the event entirely because only the home teams decide to join.
- Instead, we will now run “Open” Tournaments replacing our Regional Qualifiers around the US and Canada. Same great action and awards, without the “must” play stipulation.
- We will run less “Open” Tournaments this year to maximize the potential of each tournament. With less tournaments, the TCS staff can dedicate more time, to more strategically placed locations, with better dates. We believe that this will result in better run events with more competitive hockey for all involved.
- In addition to our “Open” Tournaments we will be running some Ultimate Iron Man Tournaments. Let’s face it, Iron Man Tournaments are a huge hit and we plan to deliver a few throughout 2012.
All of us roller hockey enthusiasts would be lying to ourselves if we said the sport is as strong as it was just a few years ago, but for those of us that still believe in this sport, we need to evolve. With this change in procedure, we believe that TCS Roller Hockey has taken a necessary step to ensure that all can enjoy the sport we love in the most efficient, fun, and cost effective way possible.
Thank you again to all of our many supporters! 2012 promises to be a revolutionary and exciting year for our series participants. Your feedback is essential to our success, so please feel free to respond with any questions or comments that you may have.
Don’t forgot about our upcoming Winter Cup Tournament December 16th-18th @ the Salt Creek Sports Center in Palatine, IL. Also, check back in a few weeks for the announcement of our 2012 Finals Location & Date.
Take care of yourselves and see you on the rink really soon!